Associate Programme

Applicant FAQs

Read our answers to many frequently asked questions about applying to our Associate Programme.

What are the requirements for becoming an Associate?

To be eligible for an Associate role, you must:

  • Have a minimum of three years of experience working in one of our eight built environment disciplines.
  • Be available to commit to an employment contract for at least 12 months starting from the date listed on the website.
  • Accept a full-time salary ranging from £30,000 to £55,000 (pro-rata).
  • Accept a job placement with an Authority within England.
  • Be eligible to work in the UK.
  • Not have previously participated in our Associate Programme.

Do I need to have public sector experience to apply?

No, there is no requirement for Applicants to have previous experience working in the public sector. Applicants without public sector experience will not be at a disadvantage to Applicants with public sector experience.

Am I eligible if I have already worked in the public sector?

Yes, applications are welcomed from practitioners with experience working in the public sector. Applicants with public sector experience will be expected to demonstrate the added value of taking up a role through Public Practice over their existing role or how it would enable them to make a step-change in their career.

Am I eligible if I am an Alum of the programme?

No, if you have already participated in the programme as an Associate, you are not eligible to apply again.

Do I need a professional qualification or accreditation to apply?

No, there are no requirements regarding specific professional qualifications or accreditations to apply for the programme. You must have at least three years of relevant professional experience in one of our discipline backgrounds. Some of our placements require specific professional qualifications or accreditations; however, this is the exception, not the norm.

Do I need to be currently employed to apply?

Applicants do not need to be employed to apply. We welcome applications from Applicants who are self-employed, have taken a career break, or are currently unemployed or employed. Your employment status will not affect how your application is assessed.

What if I need a visa to remain and work in the UK?

Public Practice and the Authorities we work with are not able to assist with any visa applications and do not hold a sponsorship licence. Candidates who do not hold a confirmed working visa for at least 12 months from the start of the programme are not eligible to apply.

During the application process, a right-to-work check based on a valid passport and/or confirmed work visa is conducted.

Contact Us

Got more questions?

Jess Littlewood

Programmes Manager

Keep updated

Sign-up to our Mailing List to keep up-to-date and hear the latest news from Public Practice