Planning & Policy
Our planning system is an extraordinarily powerful framework to shape the future of our everyday environment. However, years of underinvestment and deregulation have eroded its agency and sense of purpose. Government reforms mean planning is now on the threshold of radical change. With change there are opportunities to use digital transformation to create a more accessible and transparent system, to empower communities by engaging them earlier upstream, and to plan more proactively through design coding. This calls for planning professionals to break out of the two dimensions of development management and planmaking, and expand their influence into both design and delivery.
WHAT THEY DO
- Coordinating an emerging Local Plan involving multiple stakeholders, including local and national bodies.
- Synthesising an evidence base for a draft Local Plan consultation.
- Supporting Local Plan Examination hearings.
- Influencing stakeholders, including councillors, officers, landowners, developers, businesses and communities, to achieve the Council’s ambitions.
- Delivering growth and housing/economic targets and ensuring an inclusive economic strategy
- Developing and promoting the use of PPAs.
- Producing a draft Affordable Housing supplementary planning document (SPD) and producing a viable delivery strategy.
- Influencing major schemes at the pre-application and application stages.
- Promoting the engagement of stakeholders and communities in policy development that will impact the shape of their towns and villages.
- Coordinating development management processes with evidence base collection and policy development.
- Advocating for high quality, sustainable development and proactively improving outcomes through policy.
- Project managing delivery of design policy and guidance documents.
- Embedding social value strategies.
- Drafting guidance on financial viability and training officers.
What does the planning department of the future look like?
How can officers improve design quality through the pre-app process?
How Can Local Authorities Structure a Post-Permission Service?
What are the best ways to deliver design-led pre-applications?
How can authorities improve their capacity to assess development viability?
How can planning be based on a better understanding of existing places and uses